Monday, April 20, 2015

Ginsberg's America




I really enjoyed Ginsberg's "America" because of its his political sarcasm and critique of the American government (and American in general) but also because of the unwanted part that Ginsberg plays as an American himself. Ginsberg's mishmash of anger ("go fuck yourself with you atom bomb") and hopeful optimism (when will you be angelic?, when will you end the human war?) clash and show feelings of blame but also partial responsibility — feelings that I think are unfortunately still prevalent more than 50 years later. 

I was particularly taken by the lines "I haven't read the newspaper in months, everyday somebody goes on trial for murder". I was shocked to read that this was true in 1956, its sad that if this poem was timestamped 2009 instead, the same problems would be true with war, murder and hate. Just how much political progress have we made? Ginsberg doesn't apologize for being a communist as a kid, and maybe he's right. 

The poem likewise criticises just how much freedom Americans really have. The "American Dream" promises success, wealth and freedom, yet Ginsberg questions just how much of these we really have. 






4 comments:

  1. Comparing then and now was one of the things I sought to do when I led discussion, and you seem to think that for the most part things have not changed. In no small sum, I agree. I wonder what you think of what has changed. I brought this up in discussion, but is marijuana and communism still subversive? I have to also wonder, does Ginsberg have "hopeful optimism," as you say? To me, he seems to be pleading with America for something he doubts will happen. Though perhaps "putting my queer shoulder to the wheel" is a positive end to a dark poem. Food for thought, and good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia -

    This is an interesting post. The "clash" of feelings you're referencing are dialectically inherent in the ideal/actual split of what America is, and what it potentially could be. How could you draw these out, or make the connections you discuss "50 years later" more explicit? How does Ginsberg's poem specifically resonate for you today? Which headlines? What lack of political progress seems most symbolically related? Making these connections explicit will not only give me a greater grasp at the depth of your understanding, but could potentially push you in the direction of a possible final project of interest to you as well. Keep up the good work,

    T

    ReplyDelete