Wednesday, May 13, 2015

George Watsky - Growing up in "The City"

George Watsky is a rapper, singer, songwriter, and slam poet who has preformed on Def Poetry and was named Youth Speaks Grand Slam Champion as well as Brave New Voices International Poetry Slam Champion in 2006.  As a artist who spent his childhood in San Francisco  during the '90s, The City is often a subject of his art. Most notably, Watsky wrote two songs that heavily feature San Francisco as a location: "Other Cities" and a remix of Foster The People's 2011 hit "Pumped Up Kicks"

"Other Cities"

There's nothin' like the feeling of the plane flight homeward;
The way my stomach dips when the landing gears lowered;

Because no matter how many miles that I wander;
The bay bridge curves like a smile on the water;
I'm like, what up missy?
Tell me you were missin' me;
With this pretty city skyline lit up like a Christmas tree;
The buildings shimmering like pinky rings from Tiffany's;
Every time I witness it I have a damn epiphany;
That this is me! This is where I've got the richest history;
Stacked with six or seven memories on every single street;
I never missed a beat;
I'm soaked in city pride;
And me oh my, this foggy sky got me misty eyed;

There might be other cities half as raw as ours;
(Just as 'bout it, 'bout it, 'bout it)
Out in some distant galaxy among the stars;
(But I doubt it, doubt it, doubt it)

We don't play tiny violins over minor things;
We slide into the ring takin' Tyson swings;
Because this city will defend our fuckin' pride
And raise each other up like Simba in the Lion King;

We're not shy;
I ain't no coy coward;
I'll be doin' trust falls offa Coit tower;
My boys on the ground floor providin' man power;
But if I die now, mix me into clam chowder;
Put me in a bread bowl, feed me to the seagulls;
But not the freakin' tourists;
I'm sure they're peachy people;
I guess I'm just a purist;
It isn't oil, but there's somethin' in the water
And it's got me feelin' diesel;

There might be other cities half as raw as ours;
(Just as 'bout it, 'bout it, 'bout it)
Out in some distant galaxy among the stars;
(But I doubt it, doubt it, doubt it)

[Outro: Bobby "Blue" Bland]
Ain't no love, in the heart of the city;
Ain't no love, in the heart of town;
Ain't no love, in the heart of the city;
Ain't no love, in the heart of town;
Ain't no love.
Excerpt from "Pumped Up Kicks [Remix]"

"At Buena Vista elementary in second grade 
One whistle is when recess ends 
Two whistles is an earthquake drill 
Three means every kid better hit the deck 
Unless you want to catch a stray bullet or a ricochet from a fight across the chainlink fence 
I know that I don't look it but grew up in the middle of the city where only the quick make friends 
A kid in Frisco 
navigating Lombard 
no On Star 
I'm on BART 
no lawn darts 
not saying I'm hard 
But I got street val for my Pokemon cards 
Better put me onto Pawn Stars 
And I'll Barter like my gramma when she wants art 
Every block or two I skate around another beggar 
Leaning on a cop car 
Baked as a pop tart"

These two songs take subtly different looks at the city of San Francisco, where "Other Cities" celebrates the city's pride and community nature, "Pumped Up Kicks [Remix]" takes a look at the more dangerous nature of growing up in an urban neighborhood in the '90s.

"Other Cities" seeks to exemplify the beauty of the city, the memories he has formed growing up there and the pride and confidence of other San Francisco natives, while shunning the "freakin' tourists." In this sense, he is calling attention to the city in the contemporary moment, glorifying it and really drawing focus on many of the tourist attractions like the bay bridge, the Golden Gate, Coit Tower, as well as the cuisine ("clam chowder"). However, despite painting a picture of the city as this place of beauty and glory, he takes on an attitude that he deems "a purist:" against tourists ("I'm sure they're peachy people"), and adding that the city is itself a part of him.

Alternatively, his verse in "Pumped Up Kicks [Remix]" draws attention to the dangers of a child growing up in the urban environment of San Francisco. Watsky mentions his time at Buena Vista Alternative Elementary school, located on the corner of Portero Ave. and Cesar Chavez St., a few blocks away from the south side of the Mission district. He mentions the fact that his school necessitated a way to signal that a gun fight was occurring in dangerous proximity to the school's playground, and comments, "I know that I don't look it but grew up in the middle of the city where only the quick make friends."

Really, both these illustrations of San Francisco are equally correct and true, as a city as complex as San Francisco would have both both beauty and attractive qualities as well as danger and illegal activities that present a danger to visitor and resident alike. Similar to to the chapter of Reclaiming San Francisco, "You Are Here (You Think)," a city is more than the tourist attractions that appear on postcards, and the "metatourists" that toured the San Francisco's less photographic areas realized what a resident of The City knows from experience. As Watsky realizes, "That this is me! This is where I've got the richest history; / Stacked with six or seven memories on every single street;"

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love that you did a post about Watsky, I'm a big fan. I enjoy the perspective that Watsky can give about the city not just because he grew up there, but also because he's experienced homelessness in the city (he was once secretly living out of a storage unit). He gives a whole perspective on the city and breaks some of the stereotypes of "san franciscans". In "Nothing Like the First Time", he mentions himself "weaving blindly through LA traffic. You- in some bullshit other place." He's toured across the country now and seen many cities and doesn't seem to give into the elitism of being from San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this dualism of the city that your post reveals is really in sync with what we've discussed in class so far. We've spent a lot of time talking about San Francisco as a place for both progressive idealism as well as a rather militarized economic history that is still vigorously in place (thank you Imperial San Francisco). While those two things are different than the two aspects of San Francisco that are painted in your post here, I think that both of those things are also representative of what is beautiful and simultaneously dangerous about the city, so I love that you are able to find even further examples of this dichotomy within the culture of San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete