Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The End of Solitude

This isn't explicitly connected to anything in the course, and is mostly a response to the previous post,  but it may very well be the most powerful and  introspection-provoking article I've ever read, and I wanted to share it with you all. It is also strongly connected to the themes and feelings of the Dharma Bums, speaking to the inner compulsions that drove Ray and Japhy into the solitude of the wild, and explaining why such an escape is becoming more and more discouraged in our modern society of interconnectedness. This article hit me hard, especially as someone trying to make a living out of creative pursuits, and because I saw a lot of what it discusses in my own life experience. This isn't the most cohesive post, but I'd encourage you to read the article, it made me much more explicitly aware of an ongoing struggle I find myself engaged in(and think most of us are engaged in) with myself and my social programming. The End of Solitude

No comments:

Post a Comment